- Download the OSX-version of JDiveLog from Sourceforge. (jdivelog-macosx-<version>.zip)
- Unpack it and drag the application to your /Applications folder
- In order to being able to communicate with your dive-computer you also have to install a serial driver library, so download the OSX-version of the rxtx serial driver library as found on http://users.frii.com/jarvi/rxtx/download.html. you have two options for this:
- Automatic Install:
- Download the source-package (tested with http://rxtx.qbang.org/pub/rxtx/rxtx-2.1-7-r2.zip) and unpack the archive (e.g. to your desktop or home directory).
- Go to the (MACOSX_IDE/ForPackageMaker folder), try to install RXTX binaries using the Installer by double clicking on MACOSX_IDE/ForPackageMaker/RXTX_Tiger.pkg
- check existence of the folder “/var/spool/uucp”, if you don’t have it create it with command
sudo mkdir /var/spool/uucp
Permissions should be: drwxrwxr-x, if they are not do command
sudo chmod 775 /var/spool/uucp
- YOU (and everyone using the serialport/lib should be a member of the uucp group, you can check it with command
niutil -readprop / /groups/uucp users
You should see your name in output of the niutil command. If you don’t see it, do following:
sudo niutil -appendprop / /groups/uucp users <yourname>
Substitute <yourname> with your user’s name
NOTES: RXTX.pkg should create uucp folder and insert your name in uucp group automatically but you might want to repeat those steps for other users. If everything went without errors, you should be done now. Remember that changing group memberships of users might need a reboot, so please consider doing so.
- ALTERNATIVELY (experienced user)
you can also install the lib manually by, downloading the binary package (http://rxtx.qbang.org/pub/rxtx/rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip) and copy the files manually:
cd <where you unpacked it>/rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2/ sudo cp RXTXcomm.jar /Library/Java/Extensions sudo cp Mac_OS_X/librxtxSerial.jnilib /Library/Java/Extensions
- In order to being actually able to access the serial port as a normal user, you have to be a member of the uucp-Group (otherwise you’ll get an Error: “Port already in use”), which can be accomplished by running
Which can be found in the /contrib folder of the rxtx SOURCE package subdirectory.
- Automatic Install:
- Reboot or at least log-off and log-on again (for the group membership to become effictive)
- Run JDiveLog and Be Happy 😉
- If your (USB)-serialport does not appear on the list of available ports in the preferences tab of JDiveLog, make sure that you have a driver from your cable vendor installed on your system.